I poured a lot of artistic energy into planning the different colour styles required in telling Echo’s story. Congratulations to author Katherena Vermette and artist Scott Henderson on the nomination. Thanks to you and Highwater Press for inviting me to contribute in bringing this book to life.
Full nominations for the award are listed below.
- #IndianLovePoems by Tenille K. Campbell, cover design by Doowah Design, cover photo by sweetmoon photography, published by Signature Editions
- From the Tundra to the Trenches by Eddy Weetaltuk, interior design by Jess Koroscil, cover design by Mike Carroll, published by University of Manitoba Press
- Lake Agassiz: The Rise and Demise of the World’s Greatest Lake by Bill Redekop, interior and cover design by Lisa Friesen of Ninth and May Design Co., published by Heartland Associates Inc.
- Iolaire by Karen Clavelle, interior and cover design by Jamis Paulson, published by Turnstone Press
- The North End Revisited: Photographs by John Paskievich by John Paskievich, cover and interior design by Frank Reimer, photography by John Paskievich, published by University of Manitoba Press
- Pemmican Wars: A Girl Called Echo; Volume 1 by Katherena Vermette, interior and cover design by Relish New Brand Experience, artwork by Scott B. Henderson, colour by Donovan Yaciuk, published by HighWater Press, an imprint of Portage & Main Press
- Snacks: A Canadian Food History by Janis Thiessen, interior design by Jess Koroscil, cover design by David Drummond, published by University of Manitoba Press
The full Manitoba Book Award SHORTLIST
can be found on their website.